Friday 9 September 2011

Reading Between the Lines

I'm reading a couple of Sarah Iver's books at the moment and they are making me increasingly annoyed. While there are undoubtedly some good tips in there (her chapters on parent-management were good), the tone can be, well, privileged.

From talking about 200 guests, to constantly mentioning what you can do for wedding favours (parasols, hot-water bottles, seeds, sweets, fans), to suggesting to jet off in a helicopter, to fireworks displays, to actually thinking that you might get special t-shirts made for your serving staff, she's clearly coming from a place of great money. Now, my dad has been nice enough to tell me his financial contribution to my wedding, and it's above average. So trust me when I say that she is assuming a lot more than average to get these.

So far, to feed and water 110 guests, it is looking like we may have to shell out £15,000. That is a huge amount of money. We want people to have a good time, so this is our biggest expense, and I know I'm damn lucky to be able to do it. But books that don't recognise the privilege they are coming from, and therefore suggest that really, no one cares if you have a frikkin' helicopter, bug the hell out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment