Tuesday 22 November 2011

Food glorious food

Ah, menus. I love creating menus. I love eating, so this is natural. I have both specific requirements for my wedding menu but also am open to suggestions, so this is quite a nice thing to sort out.

One thing I definitely want to do is some sort of choice for my guests. I woud like to be able to give them a menu of three choices for three courses and get them to say which one they want and then brief my caterers. I think that's nicer than just choosing meat or veggie options and I'm happy to pay more.

The thing I want to save on is the canapes - they may keep people from becoming so peckish and/or drunk they don't enjoy the champagne, but given that we're planning on getting hitched in the late afternoon and then dinner will be served, these are less of an issue for me. Anyone know of any ways to keep these costs down?

Finally, we really enjoy cheese in our friend group, and I know a great cheesemongers in Marylebone. So I think I'm going to put together my own cheese board for the late night cheese and cake fest as a personal touch that should also save money!

The next thing to do is gether quotes and organize tastings. I tried to organize one but they said that if I chose them as the vendor it was free but if I went with another caterer they would charge me £45 a head. While I appreciate they can't be giving out free food all the time, what if their food is godawful? It seems a bit rich to blackmail someone into booking them with a fairly hefty fine. Is this normal practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment